Kuih Lapis: Layer Steam Cake

It was in the afternoon when my little boy asked me if I can get him some kuih lapis. Well, it's quite difficult to find a good kuih lapis these days, as most people tend to make it a little soggy. I remember that my late grandmother used to make very good kuih lapis.  There are 7 to 8 layers of steamed starch flour of different colors, and we can peel each layer easily. She used to tell me that the indicator to a good kuih lapis is how easy you peel each layer. However, the tricky part is, it should not be too stiff or soggy. You need the right flour and water measurement, and the amount of time you steam it as you add the layers. 

So, I started searching for a recipe and called my mom and aunt asking about it. I gathered the information and come up with a recipe on my own. I tried a couple of times and it turned out to be quite good! I like the texture and it's not too sweet. But I need to do it a few more times until I ge




    Recipe:

    2 cups of rice flour 
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
    1/2 cup cornflour 
    3/4 cup granulated sugar 
    1 cup thick coconut milk
    3 cups of water 
    1/4 cups salt 
    food coloring of your choice 


    Method: 
  • Set the steamer. Prepare an 8x4 inch glass container. If you don't have one, you can use any glass container size that you have. 
  • In a bowl, mix the rice flour, all-purpose flour, and cornflour.
  • Add sugar and salt to the flour mixture. Mix it well.
  • In another bowl, add the coconut milk and water. 
  • Combine it with the flour mixture. Stir until the mixture is smooth. 
  • Divide the mixture into 2. Put it in 2 separate bowls. 
  • Add a different coloring into each bowl mix. I like the traditional look it - pink and white.   
    Next, is the cooking part.  
  • Put one layer (about 1/2cm) of the pink (or color of your choice) mixture in the glass container. Steam it for about 10 mins until the mixture is stiff enough. 
  • Then, add another 1/2cm layer of the white (or the other color) mixture on top of the pink layer. Steam it for about 10 mins. 
  • Continue the process until the container is 3/4 full. 
  • Let it cool completely before serving 
  • When you want to cut it out, wet the knife with water. The kuih lapis can be sticky. 
    Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts